Highlights in the Evolution of Toilet System
2500 BC to 1990 AD
- BC 2500: In Mohenjo – daro, there existed highly developed drainage system where waste water from each house flowed into the main drain.
- BC 1000: In the Bahrein Island in the Persian Gulf, flush type toilet was discovered.
- 69 AD: Vespasianus (Otto Empire) for the first time levied Tax on Toilets.
- 1214 AD: Construction for the first time of public toilets manned by scavengers in Europe.
- 1596 AD: JD Harrington invents W.C.
- 1668 AD: Edict issued by Police Commissioner Paris, construction of Toilets in all houses.
- 1728 AD: Architect J.F. Brondel argues that attached toilet is ideal.
- 1739 AD: First separate toilet for men and women appear at a ball in Paris.
- 1824 AD: First Public Toilet in Paris.
- 1859 AD: Toilet of Queen Victoria is decorated with gold.
- 1883 AD: First Ceramic Toilet by Thomas Turiferd for Queen Victoria.
- 1889 AD: Sewage Treatment for the first time in the world.
- 1959 AD: All surface Toilets abandoned (Paris).
- 1970 AD: Sulabh International is established by Bindeshwar Pathak, as a non-profit NGO in Bihar.
- 1980 AD: Installation of Auto – control Public Toilet.